Saturday, June 30, 2012

Thai Coconut Chicken Curry Soup

This soup originally was inspired by the truly AMAZING soups at Safeway, yep that's right, I occasionally buy prepared food at the grocery store, but it is very rare. My goal is always to find something amazing and perfect my own version. This one took lots of work and many trips to the Asian market, but I finally got it down, and boy was it worth it! Some important things to look for at the Asian market, when you go, are red curry paste, lemongrass stalks (I freeze them so I can use them again in a month or so) kaffir lime leaves (mine had baggies in the freezer) fish sauce and coconut milk. Everything else is relatively available in the grocery store. Another helpful tool is a julienne. Mine is a hand held nifty one I picked up at Sur la Table in Seattle, but there are other options out there. Use with care, I've julienned my knuckles, not that attractive. So here's my very own take on...
Thanks angieanew.com for having a pic!


Thai Coconut Chicken Curry Soup


1 Tbs olive oil
1 onion, chopped
2 cloves garlic, chopped
1 red bell pepper, chopped or julienned
1/2 c uncooked wild rice

Sauté in bottom of large pot. Then add...
3 stalks lemongrass, trimmed to 1 inch pieces, crushed so juices flow
1 Tbs grated fresh ginger
2 T red curry paste (or to taste if you like more/less heat)
3 Kaffir lime leaves
2 T fish sauce
2 tsp sugar
1 can chicken broth
juice of 2 limes

Reduce heat. In separate pot, boil...
2 chicken breasts
2 1/2 c water
2 tsp salt

When chicken is cooked, remove and shred chicken. Add shredded chicken and boiled broth water to main pot. Then add...


1 can coconut milk
2 carrots, julienned

Simmer soup until carrots and rice are tender. 

3 comments:

  1. This soup is SO AMAZING! I can't say it enough times. Like, seriously. SO. GOOD. You know I don't normally write down recipes but this one is getting filed away. It's still steaming hot but I keep burning my tongue cause I can't wait to take more bites!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for posting. We loved the Safeway soup for quick and easy meal nights although we doctored with more red curry, chicken, coconut milk and rice. They tell me at our Safeway that their version is discontinued. We'll be trying this for sure!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Bummer they are discontinuing it, good thing we have the recipe! Thank you for your message, please let me know how it turns out!

      Delete