Tuesday, February 7, 2012

Givin' this a whirl...more like a juice!

Okay, last night I started a juice fast. It may be drastic, may be crazy, but I wanted to give it a shot! It comes highly recommended by people, and professionals, I trust. I watched the movie "Fat, Sick and Nearly Dead" and got a juicer from my in-laws, and now I'm in business! My initial reasons for doing the fast were to feel better, sleep better, and to help me curb my cravings for white refined carbs. Of course, let's be honest, there's a big hope that I'll lose weight, but it won't be sustainable weight loss, it will just be motivation to work hard and keep it off. I want to do the fast for at least 10 days, 14 if I can. My game-plan is 80% vegetable, 20% fruit. Last night I did 100% vegetable, and it was pretty tasty! Here's the first drink!

2 carrots
2 stalks celery
1 handful of spinach
1 lime section
1 clove garlic
1 green onion stalk
2 tomatoes
1/3 bell pepper
1/4 tsp cayenne
handful of cilantro

It was very yummy! I was going for a V-8 meets salsa feel. Other than burping celery a few times that night, I'd consider this a win! I drank this at 5:30 and I was slightly hungry through the evening, but nothing terrible, nothing that drove me crazy.

This morning I wanted a more fruity drink, and this is what I tried.

2 medium carrots
1 orange, peeled
2 apples, cored and sliced
1 " chunk ginger
2-3 cups spinach

Blended with:
1/2 banana
2.6 oz mango silken tofu

First taste, this was WAY too sweet! I was hoping by adding some tofu that I could get a little added protein to help me through the day, and keep my body from eating any muscle I have instead of fat. After doing this juice recipe, I am realizing that fruit is very sweet! I need to be much more careful when juicing and keep the vegetable ratio much closer to 80%. Otherwise, this juice fast is not going to be helpful, and I was feeling hungry at around 10:30 (I think I ate breakfast around 9:30). When I got hungry, I drank the quart of spearmint sun tea, and felt fine.

So far, I'm doing okay. I am catching myself wanting to munch all the time, but that I think is more out of habit and not hunger. It is hard when I dream of new recipes, new creations, new things to make with all the LOADS of food I do have in the house. It was refreshing to go to Costco and the grocery store and only buy fresh produce. And I didn't think it was very expensive at all. I usually spend much more when I just grocery shop normal.

Here's to lunch, and whatever I dream up for that juice mix! (PS: for my own tracking, weigh in this afternoon, 143.6 or so)

No comments:

Post a Comment