Tuesday, May 17, 2011

There are two kinds of people in this world...

Sometimes I allow myself to feel bitter, to see persecution in the probably innocent comments of others, but I often feel strongly that there are two kinds of people in this world; those who have children and those who don't. And although one of those groups finds its origin in the other, they seem to have forgotten about their humble beginnings in the child-less group. And then there's people like me, who are not in the "child-less" group by choice, and are so conflicted in their emotions, that it hurts when we are "one-upped" by people who have kids, because that life is so much more difficult or better or challenging or rewarding or to be admired. True, I have NO concept of what YOUR life is like, but I tend to feel that YOU have NO concept of what my challenges are either! And that if I had a magic wand, I would have as many children as you have, I would have experienced all the blood, sweat and tears that you have experienced. So my desire is, to never forget that everyone's experiences are unique, and can be challenging and rewarding to just them, and are not to be diminished by me, even though I may have something they don't. So, is this a rant? or is this a note to myself to not forget how it feels to go without and be "one-upped" by people who have?

1 comment:

  1. I have often reflected on that as a women it's hard to be too full or two empty...meaning either side of being a mother (which i totally believe every woman to be) is a challenge. Some have to deal with it stretching them with fullness and some get streached with emptiness...you are so right to remind me of this! I can only imagine how you must feel. Just know that i admire so much the way you deal with your challenge of motherhood.

    ReplyDelete